Sunday, October 12, 2008

My thoughts on home renovation

I have been out previewing LOTS of property lately and have noticed a few things about the 'updates' that have been done to homes in order to get them to sell. Here are a few of my observations and opinions:

New floors - Yes, sometimes they are an absolute MUST. However, if you have new floors but severely outdated fixtures, a paint job that looks 20 years old, and antique appliances you may have just wasted your money. Homes should have a continuous feel throughout with all additions. A flow from room to room provides a nice feeling of continuity and pleasure when walking around the home. You are better off spreading the updates around the home to include other areas

Paint - While I am a big fan of changing colors in a home, do not over do it! Yesterday I was previewing a home. Standing in the living room I could see 5 different rooms and they were all different colors. It would have helped had they been in the same color family, but alas they were not. It created a sense of confusion almost. Keep it simple

Thats all for now. I will be back with some other observations soon

No comments: